Maximize Your Fat Burning Potential
by Elizabeth Bohorquez, RN, SRN, CPH
Skipping strength training workouts? Feeling stressed about “getting all your workouts in”?
As a former competitive athlete, reality started settling in after I graduated from college and I needed a fitness and nutrition plan that worked! The mac & cheese and meatless spaghetti diet was failing me. I was getting a gut and I was tired all the time. I started making massive changes to my diet and finally got back to being trim and fit and had more natural energy.
The changes I implemented were even more important as I started doing triathlons. As an athlete, you need the energy to train sometimes twice a day, and at the same time, you need to prevent from being broken down and susceptible to colds and flus. You need to keep your endurance up and keep injuries away.
How can you do all this and maximize your fat burning potential?
Here is a great start:
1. Cut out empty calories and simple carbohydrates like potatoes, pasta, and cereal as much as possible.
2. Eat more green vegetables, low fat protein, nuts, and healthy fruit like apples, pears, blueberries and melons.
3. Incorporate immune-boosting coconut oil and heart-healthy omega-3 (fish) oils into your diet.
4. Exercise every day, and keep most of your workouts aerobic, meaning, keep your heart rate low and when in doubt, “jog” instead of run.
5. Reduce stress by adding in 10 minutes a day of quiet meditation. Stress often prevents you from breaking through the plateau that is keeping you from losing that extra 5-15 pounds.
Instead of counting calories, choose the right kind of calories. And, if you are looking to get into the shape of your life without getting sick all the time, you need to train smart, not hard!
Author Information Kevin is a personal trainer and triathlon coach in San Diego. He has owned a personal training company, and consulted in the fitness field for over 9 years. Author of the E-Book, The Healthy Burn, a comprehensive fat-burning plan for couch potatoes, competitive athletes, and anyone in between.
For more effective ways to lose weight and get in shape, check out www.thehealthyburn.com